Wednesday, February 1, 2012
"I know that most of you won't watch this, but do you know, that I know, you won't watch it?" (You should at least watch it so this title makes sense)
So as I continue to unwrap the interworking of a classroom community; I am picking up on how important it is to articulate. Why is it so difficult to just say what we mean? For instance, there is this "safety-zone" in my class that requires me to not ask a question that is too easy like "Who wrote the Hunger Games?" Because everyone can easily answer this question in a heartbeat ans as soon as they answer they lose all interest, it's just too easy. However I also cannot lead with "How do you think the Hunger Games represent the Holy Catholic Church?" This is too big and too challenging that most of my students will just put their heads down? I also can't say "what do you think?" This is too abstract. Many students will get lost in their own heads, a few more will immediately say "I don't know," and a couple more will say "it's good." In essence I need to walk this tightrope wire of language, trying not to make anyone to comfortable but yet making sure that no one is scared off? Fun huh?
Let me know if you have any helpful resources for me on discussion or psychology of questions!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment