Thursday, September 29, 2011

Too Many Books

So I was faced with a haunting realization today; the books I read and love will not be the books I teach. Let me elaborate. We took a trip to Lancaster City Library and received a book talk on something I had forgotten all about; Young Adult (YA) books. I've spent the last 4 years becoming all kinds of caught up in Hemingway, Faulkner, Thoreau, Shakespeare, Dante the list goes on and on. I had forgotten that these books are not what kids are taught. Further more they have no interest in them. WHich led me to an even darker, scarier thought. To really succeed as a teacher I need to change or a least diversify my library, and (here's where it gets really scary) I'm going to have to jump on whatever ridiculous literary bandwagon they do, ie. Harry Potter, Twilight etc., just so I can A) relate to them and B) Recommend books they will like. Because as much as it hurts me to say it I'm not going to win any points with them by referencing Hemingway and The Iliad. Don't get me wrong it's not all bad. I recently read The Hunger Games which is not only a huge YA hit right now but also a very good book and I'm going to be teaching it to my kids in the spring. But it just seems a bit daunting thinking about how much more reading I have to do even after graduation. So if anyone can remember a book that really impacted you between 7-12 grade please post it here.

2 comments:

  1. I loved Lullaby by Chuck Palahnuik in tenth grade but that probably doesn't help

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Chinese Handcuffs by Chris Crutcher! Great book.

    ReplyDelete